It is essential that JET Programme participants maintain healthy communication and work cooperatively with the members of their contracting organisations, including their supervisors, superiors, and colleagues. However, in any international setting, difficulties and misunderstandings may arise from time to time.

JET Programme Support System

JET Programme Support System

Contracting Organisation

If you are facing an issue or are unable to find certain information on your own, we advise you to consult with your supervisor at your contracting organisation. Your supervisor is someone with whom we encourage you to build a trusting relationship with from the start. Your supervisor will know your employment and living situation better than anyone and should be helpful with enquiries related to these matters. Please find out who your supervisor is as soon as you arrive and obtain emergency contact details for him/her.

Prefectural Advisor (PA)

Certain ALTs, CIRs, and Japanese local government employees serve as prefectural advisors in each Host Prefecture/Designated City and often work in the prefecture or designated city’s international affairs division or board of education. They can provide useful information for JET participants and contracting organisations, however JET participants should contact their contracting organisation before contacting a prefectural advisor.

Additional Support from CLAIR

In addition to discussing and maintaining healthy communications with contracting organisations, please review the information on the following two pages.

Examples of Who to Contact

1) You have a question about your contract terms.
Ask your supervisor. As your employer, your CO is in the best position to answer contract-related questions.

2) After talking to your CO, you are concerned that the problem has not been solved.
Contact your Prefectural Advisor. They can help you to ensure smooth communication with your CO in case of a problem.

3) You have a question about a service offered by CLAIR.
Consult your supervisor first and then address your question to CLAIR if they are unable to help.

4) You have a question about an event organized for JETs in your prefecture.
Find out who is responsible for organizing the event (your CO? PAs? AJET?) and contact them. If you have trouble finding it out, ask your PA.

5) You have a question about the status of residence or paying taxes in Japan.
Refer to section 2 of the General Information Handbook first. If you can’t find an answer to your question, ask your supervisor. It is also advisable to contact the relevant institution (for example, the Regional Immigration Services Bureau).

6) You have a question about your apartment.
Refer to section ‘4.3.6 Questions & Problems Concerning Housing’ of the General Information Handbook.

Other Sources of Support

The General Information Handbook (GIH) contains contact information for the following support services:

Copyright 2015 by the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR)